Resident/Intern Firefighter Positions
Updated: March 2021
Benton County Fire Protection District #4 (BCFD4) is currently seeking applicants to fill an immediate need and to establish a list for future Resident and Intern Firefighter openings. Applications can be found by following the link on this page.
BCFD4 provides fire protection and emergency medical services to the City of West Richland and surrounding county areas.
We are a combination department that includes 17 career staff and more than 25 volunteers, including residents/interns. We operate out of two stations with plans to begin staffing a third station when personnel are available.
We have several members that are on specialized teams such as swift water rescue, technical rescue, and incident management teams.
The fire district responds to more than 1700 calls per year, including mutual and automatic aid with neighboring departments. The career and resident/intern staff work a 48/96 hour shift schedule and, our volunteers respond when they are available.
Resident/Intern firefighters earn a monthly stipend based on the number of shifts worked that averages around $900 per month with opportunities to earn more. Resident firefighters pay a nominal fee for rent that includes all utilities and basic housing needs.
More importantly, resident/intern firefighters work side-by-side with the career staff, gaining important experience that helps when applying for career positions in the fire service.
- Complete an accurate application
- Be at least 18 years of age at appointment and eligible to work in the United States
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED
- Have and maintain an insurable driving record
- Pass the pre-employment written and physical agility tests
- Have a clear criminal history for crimes against people, drugs, firearms, etc.
- Successfully pass a background check
- Have and maintain physical fitness for duty and be capable of performing any required firefighting, rescue, or emergency medical activities
Lateral Entry/Prior Experience:
Consideration will be made for those applicants who are currently a resident firefighter or volunteer or have recent experience with another fire district/department. The minimum standards must still be met, and a passing score will be required to advance in the process.
Candidate Contact Person:
Captain Bob Shannon, Recruit Coordinator